March 20, 2010

Baked BBQ Blackeyes Peas & Rice


The original recipe for this came from from Vegan Soul Kitchen by Bryant Terry that I tweaked using items that I had on hand or leaving out obscure items that I never purchase or use. The great thing about this recipe is that I got 3 dinners out of it and for a family of five that is great! I simply added a extra 1/2 cup black-eyed peas and made 2 cups of rice instead of 1/2 cup.

Baked BBQ Black-Eyed Peas & Rice

1 1/2 cups dried black-eyed peas, sorted, soaked overnight (used 2 cups)
1 3-inch piece kombu (didn't use)
3 Tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup diced onions
1 cup diced green bell pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced (used 4 cloves)
2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar (used Balsamic vinegar)2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (left out)
1/2 cup tamari (used Braggs)
1 cup canned tomato sauce
1 large chipotle chilie in adobo sauce(left out)
1/4 cup agave nectar
1 Tablespoon ground cumin
pinch of cayenne
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 pound (1 8-ounce pkg.) tempeh, crumbled

Combine the black-eyed peas with the kombu and enough water to cover them by 2 inches in a medium sauce pan over medium high heat and bring to a boil. Skim off any foam, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer, partially covered, just until tender, 50 minutes to 1 hour (I went with 1 hour) Drain the beans, reserving the cooking water.

While the beans are cooking, combine the olive oil, onion and bell pepper in a medium sized saute pan over medium high heat. Saute for 5 to 7 minutes, or until vegetables are softened. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes, until fragrant. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a blender, combine the vinegar, lime juice, tamari, tomato sauce, chile, agave nectar, cumin, cayenne, thyme, 1 cup of the reserved bean water, and the remaining olive oil. Puree for 30 seconds until smooth. (OK, here I simply put all the ingredients I was using in a large glass measuring cup and whisked ti together with a fork using all the reserved bean water.)

In a cast iron skillet or 2 quart baking dish, combine the cooked beans with the sauteed vegetables,, the tempeh, and the barbecue sauce and stir well.

Bake, uncovered for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. (I baked this in a 6 quart enameled dutch oven with the lid on - I was afraid it would dry out.)

Next the original recipe entitled Boppin' Johnhas you cook a 1/2 cup of rice and add it the last half hour of baking to the beans. (I simply made rice in my rice cooker - 2 cups rice and 4 cups water and when the Baked BBQ Black-Eyed Peas were done I mixed the cooked rice with it. The extra I simply put in the freezer until I was ready to use it.)

The 3 dinners I got out of this recipe was:
Baked Black-Eyed Peas & Rice over Seasoned Greens
Black-Eyed Peas & Rice Enchiladas with Seasoned Greens
Black-Eyed Peas & Rice Burritos, guacamole & tortilla chips

No comments:

Post a Comment