January 8, 2011

A Favorite Cookbook


I came into my marriage with one cookbook -old faithful - Betty Crocker. But I didn't have a clue how to cook on our meager budget in 1977 so mom brought me a little green paperback that became my "newlywed's food bible", How I Feed My Family on $16 a Week by Jo Ann York. It had shopping tips, how to make a menu, and recipes - I was in high cotton now! Thirty four years and six kids later I still use the recipes in that fallen apart old treasure and the menus that I made from it even if it does cost more that $16 a week.  The following recipes are our favorites and often used from that book. This Pork Chop Casserole to this day is my hubby's favorite.

Pork Chop Casserole

4 pork chops
3-4 potatoes,  pleeled and sliced
2 apples, peeled and sliced
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
salt and pepper to taste

Heat overn to 350 degrees.  Grease a 13"x9" baking pan. Place pork chops in the bottom of the 13"x9" baking pan. ( I always added 1/2 cup water in the bottom of the pan - it makes some nice pan juices to use on the potatoes) Place the sliced potatoes and apples on top of the pork chops. Sprinkle with the brown sugar, salt and pepper. Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes. Makes 4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment